Personal Support Worker College Certificate Program
The Personal Support Worker program was developed as part of the Ontario Government’s initiative to reform long-term care and community support services. These services are provided to people in long-term care facilities, group homes and those living at home in the community. It is a single training program that replaced and consolidates Health Care Aid and Home Support Worker (Levels I, II and III). This program standardizes training and provides a solid educational base for workers who provide long-term care and support services in both institutional and community settings.
Personal Support Workers assist with the tasks of daily living. Services are provided in homes and apartments in the community, in long-term facilities, congregate housing settings and day programs. Personal Support Workers must develop a broad range of abilities beyond dexterity skills. They must provide not only for the comfort, safety and well-being of their clients, but also demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in their care. The attitude, abilities and approach of the worker are critical to the well-being and health of the people they support.
Trillium College’s Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate program, which is aligned with the National Association of Career College’s (NACC) curriculum, gives you a broad range of skills, enabling you to provide for the comfort, safety and well-being of your clients and to demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in your care. Our program, which was developed as part of the Government of Ontario’s initiative to reform long-term care and community support services, gives you the solid theoretical knowledge and hands-on training to provide support services in both institutional and community settings.
Areas of Focus
This academic program covers information in the following subject areas:
- PSW Foundations
- Safety and Mobility
- Providing Optimal Support
- Care Planning and Restorative Care
- Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
- Assisting a Person with Personal Hygiene
- Assisting a Person with Medical Conditions and Medications
- Assisting a Person with Cognitive and/ or Mental Health Issues
- Working with Issues of Abuse and Neglect
- Palliative Care
- Body Systems, Growth and Development
- Assisting the Family
- Electronic Documentation
- First Aid and CPR
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Communication Skills
After completion of the in-class components, you will gain valuable professional experience in both long-term care and community settings during field placement.
As a graduate of Trillium College’s PSW program, you may find employment in a variety of settings, including long-term care facilities, home care agencies, senior citizens’ recreation centres, hospitals, group homes, and respite and palliative care centers.
“Our PSW graduates have been finding work for about $17 hr.” says Marina a PSW Instructor at Trillium College.
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, or mature student status (18 years of age)
- Passing score on the NACC technical literacy evaluation
- Current immunization record, including immunization for Hepatitis B
- Completion of the NACC PSW student questionnaire
- Submission of a clear Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) report with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Completed Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) waiver
- Physical abilities clearance