Trillium College’s Medical Lab Assistant/Technician diploma program gives you the knowledge and practical skills needed to play an important role in promoting community health while working under the direct supervision of a physician, registered medical lab technologist, or other healthcare professionals.
Emphasis is placed on understanding an array of laboratory technician skills, as well as ethical and administrative responsibilities as a medical lab technician. Subjects areas covered include specimen procurement, laboratory safety, medical terminology and documentation, infection prevention and control, and many others.
Graduates of this program will gain the prerequisites needed to apply to write the Medical Laboratory Professionals’ Association of Ontario (MLPAO) certification exam. Trillium College’s Medical Lab Assistant/Technician diploma program is recognized by the Medical Laboratory Professionals’ Association of Ontario.
Areas of Focus
This laboratory technician diploma program covers information in the following subject areas:
- Medical Laboratory Operations
- Specimen Procurement
- Laboratory Testing
- Laboratory Safety
- Medical Terminology and Documentation
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Hematology and Phlebotomy
- Venipuncture & Blood Drawing skills
- Clinical Microbiology
- Clinical Chemistry
- First Aid and CPR
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Communication Skills
Learn via live instructor-led virtual lectures completed online as well as in-person labs at a training location.
As a graduate of Trillium College’s Medical Lab Assistant/Technician diploma program, you may find employment as a lab technician in a range of settings, including hospital labs, physicians’ offices, private diagnostic testing laboratories, walk-in clinics, pharmaceutical laboratories and insurance agencies.
According to updated information on *Indeed.ca
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or Mature Student Status
- Trillium College Immunization Report; completed and signed by a medical professional.
- Submission of a clear Police Check (CPIC) report with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Completed Vulnerable Sector Screening waiver (VSS)
Another Trillium Success Story