Payroll Specialist Diploma Program
Learn via live instructor-led virtual lectures completely online.
Trillium College’s Payroll Specialist diploma program is perfect for someone wanting to enter the accounting field and would like to specialize in payroll. The specialization provides focus on accounting principles and practices specific to the Canadian marketplace. Upon completion, you will be prepared to become a nationally recognized Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) with the National Payroll Institute.
Areas of Focus
This program covers information in the following subject areas:
- Essentials of accounting and different forms of business organizations
- Accounting for merchandising
- An understanding about the various government agencies and legislation that impact payroll, both from an employer and an employee’s standpoint
- How to produce payroll at an employee level, keeping in compliance with legislation
- Calculate and report government and third party remittances, year-end requirements and accounting for payroll at the compliance level for the organization
- Maintain records of employee attendance, leave and overtime to calculate pay and benefit entitlements, in Canadian and other currencies, using manual or computerized systems
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, union dues, garnishments and insurance and pension plans
- Prepare employee payments and benefit payments by cheque or electronic transfer
- Complete, verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leaves, share savings, employment and medical insurance
- Prepare T4 statements and other statements
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters, benefit plans and collective agreement provisions
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts
- Prepare and balance period-end reports and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements
- According to updated information on *Indeed.ca
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or Mature Student Status
*Program temporarily being offered via online delivery as approved by the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges.