Student Complaint Procedure
Student Concern Resolution Process
Trillium College is committed to promptly and equitably resolving all student concerns to the satisfaction of both the student and the College.
The Student Concern Resolution Process is designed to provide students with informal and formal processes whereby a student may request the review and resolution of a concern if satisfactory resolution has not been reached by way of the daily problem-solving activities between staff and/or instructors and students, which, in most cases, will result in immediate resolution.
While student complaints must be submitted in writing, the student has the right to additionally submit his/ her complaint orally.
The student also has the right to have an individual of his/ her choosing present during all stages of the complaint process, and this individual may submit the oral complaint on behalf of the student.
Student Complaint Procedure
Trillium College is committed to the prompt and equitable resolution of all student conflict issues to the satisfaction of both the student and the College.
The Student Concern Resolution Process is designed to provide students with informal and formal processes whereby a student may request the review and resolution of a concern if satisfactory resolution has not been reached by way of the daily problem-solving activities between staff and/or instructors and students, which, in most cases, result in immediate resolution.
The student has the right to present his/ her case and be accompanied by an individual of his/ her choice at all times during the process; and has the right to have that individual make the oral presentation on his or her behalf.
These are the steps to resolve any issues:
- Students must begin by addressing their concern with their instructor.
- If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor;
- the student can express their concern to their Student Experience Manager (SEM) via email.
- Upon receipt of the email, the SEM will confirm receipt and set up a meeting.
- At the conclusion of the meeting, the SEM will send a summary of the meeting to the student via email. IF there are outstanding or follow up items, they will be documented in the summary.
- Upon follow up the SEM will confirm if the issue has been resolved. If it has not been resolved, the student may escalate their concern through the Trillium College Website.
a. The only website submissions that will be accepted are ones that have previously completed steps 1-5.
- https://www.trilliumcollege.ca/issue-resolution-form/ and indicate:
- the nature of the concern
- time and date of occurrence
- facts surrounding the concern
- the individual(s) involved
- why they feel the concern was not resolved with the SEM
- recommended solution
- The Director will respond (in writing) to the student within five (5) working days of the date of the escalation and provide a summary of the findings and the complaint resolution decision including the reasons for arriving at the decision.
- A copy of the written communication between the Director and the student will be placed in the College’s Student Complaint Binder, where it will be kept for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Complaints made through any social media forum will not be acknowledged, as they do not follow the College’s complaint process.
Students that are not satisfied with the resolution of their complaint and attending a program recognized as being protected under the Private Career Colleges Act 2005 may choose to refer the matter to the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges through PARIS, a new automated system. This will assist the Ministry of Colleges and Universities in better serving students by being able to track the complaint easily.
First, please go to this website:
A guide for creating a student user account is available at the following URL: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/pepg/audiences/pcc/paris-enrolment-guide-for-new-users.pdf