Police Foundations Diploma
This program is presently only available in Kingston. Trillium College’s Police Foundations diploma program provides theoretical and hands-on training and gives you the knowledge, skills and industry contacts needed for successful employment in the policing and public safety fields. Our program is recognized by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) and taught by professionals from the public safety arena.
Leading to one of the best community service career paths in Canada, the Police Foundations program provides individuals with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed for successful employment in the field.
Areas of Focus
This academic program covers information in the following subject areas:
- Criminology and the Criminal Justice System
- Community Policing
- Understanding Issues of Diversity
- Working with High-risk Populations
- Working with Addiction and Mental Health Issues
- Utilizing Community Resources
- Provincial Offences, Federal Statutes and the Criminal Code
- Interviewing, Investigation and Evidence
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention
- Communication Techniques and Processes
- Ethics and Professionalism
As a graduate of Trillium College’s Police Foundations program, you will be prepared for work in a variety of professional law enforcement areas, including municipal by-law and civil enforcement, police services, public and private security companies and investigation firms. This diploma also gives you the opportunity to pursue training to work with the railway police, military police, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), corrections, customs and border services.
Graduates with a Police Foundation diploma may be eligible to work with Ontario Police Services, as Public Security Guards, with Private Security and Investigation Firms, Federal Enforcement Agencies (such as RCMP or Customs Officers), Conservation Services, Railway Police, or Military Police. Potential careers are also available in By-Law Enforcement and Civil Enforcement.
Salary: According to jobbank.gc.ca an average salary for a Police Officer (Except Commissioned) is $39.23 per hour (NOC 4311).
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, or mature student status (18 years of age)
- Submission of a clear Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) report