Learn via live instructor-led virtual lectures completely online.
Trillium College’s Payroll Specialist graduate diploma program is perfect for anyone that already possesses a post-secondary diploma or degree or for someone that is working in the field and would like to specialize in payroll to apply for a new position at work. The specialization provides focus on accounting principles and practices specific to the Canadian marketplace. Upon completion, you will be prepared to become a nationally recognized Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) with the National Payroll Institute.
Areas of Focus
This program covers information in the following subject areas:
- Essentials of accounting and different forms of business organizations
- Accounting for merchandising
- An understanding about the various government agencies and legislation that impact payroll, both from an employer and an employee’s standpoint
- How to produce payroll at an employee level, keeping in compliance with legislation
- Calculate and report government and third party remittances, year-end requirements and accounting for payroll at the compliance level for the organization
- Maintain records of employee attendance, leave and overtime to calculate pay and benefit entitlements, in Canadian and other currencies, using manual or computerized systems
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, union dues, garnishments and insurance and pension plans
- Prepare employee payments and benefit payments by cheque or electronic transfer
- Complete, verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leaves, share savings, employment and medical insurance
- Prepare T4 statements and other statements
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters, benefit plans and collective agreement provisions
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts
- Prepare and balance period-end reports and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements
- According to updated information on *Indeed.ca
- Diploma or Degree
*Program temporarily being offered via online delivery as approved by the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges.